Thursday, May 29, 2014

Course inspection and race Wemeldinge

Yesterdayevening I went for a little ride to inspect the BWF championship course for next Sunday. It's a course of a little over 5km with only 4 corners. It's a typical course for strong guys. Not really my type of course, but OK, we'll try to make the best of it. On the other hand, as you will see below my riding anaerobic and neuromuscular levels is not well developped (I never do such intervals) so maybe this course will suit me. Ride statistics: 1.30h AP 263, NP 273, TSS 108. I got soaking wet by the rain. Great!
 
Today I had a race in Wemeldinge (Amateur category). 60km on small stones in the center of Wemeldinge. A lot of cornering. Typical crit race I would say. I missed the decisive break (of 10) and I ended up 20th. Race statistics: 1.27h, AP 255, NP 292, TSS 121. So why did I write above that if I want to ride better in crits that I need to improve my anaerobic and neuromuscular capability? Below an example of 3 races I did this year:
 
Race 1: 1.12h, VI1.051, NP 297, AP 283, IF 0.928, anaerobic 11 min, neuro 6 min
 
Race 2: 1.03h, VI 1.12, NP 273, AP243, IF 0.854, anaerobic 4 min, neuro 12 min
 
Today's race: 1.27h,VI 1.145, NP 292, AP 255, IF 0.911, anaerobic 9 min, neuro 15 min

As you can see the variability in this race was highest of all 3. I also spend 24 minutes in the anaerobic and neuromuscular zone. Race 2 was also quite variable but it was almost 30 min shorter and the NP was way lower. That race was very easy in terms of wattage and I did not suffer much.
 
In race 1 I felt a lot better although the AP were highest. Why? Because simply it was not so variable as compared to today's race. In this race I had the worst feeling so far but it can easily be explained by the amount of variability / the high amount of minutes spend in the anaerobic and neuromusular zones. I basically never train this so I can't expect to be good at this. And that is one of the factors that make a good crit rider: being good to ride anaerobically and neuromuscular (quickly riding away, rushes, etc.) (and of course you need a descent FTP otherwise you get dropped). Maybe train this more after my vacation after the Trois Ballons ride when putting more focus on some races.
 
I know that I can figure some out more by using W'balance in Golden Cheetah and I can see how many matches I burned during a race. I am however still looking for some proper documentation about this: how to set this information, look at the W balance graph and interpret the graph. In WKO+ 4 this will be called FRC (Functional Reserve Capacity). Hope to find some more info on this and specifically also for Golden Cheetah software.

No comments:

Post a Comment