Saturday, February 1, 2014

It seemed like a good idea

It seemed like a good idea to do some more SST work because harder work at the moment is not working (long time cough / breathing problem). So I did two workouts each 1 hour with a 10 minute warmup. After the warmup I rode at 274 watt on average for the next 50 minutes (approx IF 0.9, given my current FTP of 300). I tried to maintain a high cadence -which above expectation- went quite well. These two workput had identical numbers. 274 watt on average, average HR of 151 and an average cadence of 98.
 
I wanted to ride 4 times this week but unfortunately I could manage it. I was just too tired. Normally I do my endurance ride at the weekend but because of the rain and because of the fact that I cannot ride tomorrow (good weather, but I will be going to the World Championship cyclo-X in Hoogerheide) I tried to do a longer ride on the Kurt. Since I wanted to do work in the SST range I chose Sufferfest ISLAGIATT. For those who do not know what this stands for: It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time. Well. Those of you who know Sufferfest, know that these workouts can be classified as challenging at least. I looked at the profile of the ride, but I did feel I could fit in my current flow of riding at SST. The workout is 1.56h and with an IF of 0.9 (TSS 160) it is certainly a nice one. It's about riding slightly above SST in the intervals (roughly 4) and it further contains over and under FTP. Anyway, I felt I was worth doing.
 
I must say. It went quite well. I tried to have cadence high in the intervals (around 95-100) and when it I had to go above treshold I changed to a smaller cog behind.

 
With an average cadence in total of 92 and average HR of 144 and the watts (average 252 / NP 270)  most importantly I can be quite happy. Two hours with an NP of 270. For Trois Ballons I am aiming to do approximately the same in the climbs, but then 4 hours instead of 2 (and slightly higher average watts for those 4 hours). Well, a lot of work to do until then.
 
Next week I am going to try to 2 (preferably 3) similar steady state workouts, but then at slightly higher wattage (in the 280-290 watt range), next to my weekend endurance ride. O yes, I have also made my concept race calendar. I will post that coming week as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment