Tuesday, October 8, 2013

SST and almost lost my saddle

Today I wanted to do a SST (Sweet Spot Training). It has been a while since I last did this. SST means you ride between approximately 85%-95% intensity of your FTP. The idea is that you balance the volume of your training with the intensity. If you do not have a lot of time to train SST is THE way to go to increase your FTP (if we may believe the experts). In that way it's a good way for building up for a new season (not my main intention at the moment since I just wanted to experience the feeling again ;) For some more explanation here is one of many links:

http://www.fascatcoaching.com/sweetspottraining.html

Currently I have set my FTP at 290, since I am very much out of shape. This would imply that I should ride somewhere between 246 (0.85*290) and 276 (0.95*290).

I always do my SST and FTP tests with wind that comes from the front. The wind resistance just feels good, but I admit I also have to train SST wind in the back, its just a different sensation and producing the watts is more difficult (in relation to more speed). I wanted to ride 1 full hour around SST watts. However, it felt good so end of the day I rode a bit longer 1.15h and my AP was 275 and NP 286. Basically at the high end of the sweet spot watt range (actually a bit over it, considering my NP). But it felt alright something which I did not feel for a while. I was not very tired afterwards. Maybe my FTP is also a bit higher than 290, but I am not gonna adjust it at this time of the season.

The last 20 minutes of my whole ride I almost lost my saddle. I had to hold it while riding. This must have looked very awkward and everyone that rode towards me on their bike looked at me at a strange way. This was probably also since my face expression was not that nice....,my back really started to hurt by riding with the hand at the back of the saddle. People must have thought....where's the hand....

Whole ride statistics:

1h56m, 68km, AS 34.8km/h, AH 158, IF 0.9, AP 246, NP 265, TSS 162


No comments:

Post a Comment